Thursday, October 11, 2018

Update on how selling my items on ebay is going

I was making this month of October #Gotober.

It was going to be the first full month of being at work, so the walking to work and saving money which I used to spend at work, would have a full month so should match what I had done in August and September combined.

To add to this I had decided to sell some Dr Who DVDs and figurines, and a few other bits and bobs which were literally just gathering dust on shelfs or out of site in the garage.

link to the items I were selling

I sold 10 out of the 38 items and raised £115 which is over half way to my £200 target. I have not included postage in this and will cover any shortfall with fees etc, and boy do those fees add up, so you have paypal who charge you a fee for every payment you have received, you have ebay who charge not only a percentage for the item you have sold but a percentage towards the postage you have charged.

Now I will hold my hand up, just about every item bar 1 (and that is because I hadn't notice the ebay system drop the postage costs) were charged more than the cost of actually posting it, but if I am selling an item, why must I then take out of what I was getting for it, the packaging to send it, the fees, a 5 pound item can quite easily be whittled down, and don't even think of getting rid of that small item which you thought wasn't worth more than a pound but someone would like it. (doctor who keyring) lucky if that broke 50p in the end.

So be savvy, also watch for the auto renew of listings, it seems ebay can auto relist your stuff up to 7 times, and if you run out of free goes they will charge you 35p a time.

The whole experience seemed shady, it made the money but I think in the future if I have anything to sell I will explore other ways to sell it. I have now a few bits and 3 job lots to go. when they sell I would have easily burst through my £200 target, it seems despite not because of any help from ebay.

Also walked a couple of miles to the post office and back so that was a bonus

So now I have walked 17 Miles in October 110 miles in total since starting this blog

p.s.

Oh and if you do finally get your money once it has been rinsed by paypal fees and 2 lots of ebay fees, you might find they put the money on hold, for no apparent reason. So you have to factor in a 21 day wait for the money they have left you with.

No comments:

Post a Comment